Wednesday, January 15, 2014

ALASKA IN ANY GENRE!



My Review:
Polar Night

by

Julie Flanders

When I learn that a books setting is Alaska I am immediately drawn to it and with Polar Night by Julie Flanders, I hit the jackpot. Reading her paranormal mystery not only left me homesick for my most favorite place, it had me looking at the genre with a new appreciation. She takes the reader on chilling ride through the street of Fairbanks and makes the Alaskan setting as much a character as her handsome and wounded detective Danny Fitzpatrick.

Detective Danny Fitzpatrick and the evil Aleksei Nechayev, are both mourning a lost love, and it leads to an interesting dynamic between the two. Polar Night is a mystery well crafted, with well-developed characters, and a setting that adds even more drama. 

I'm looking forward to Julie's next paranormal mystery with Detective Danny Fitzpatrick set under the midnight sun! 

Yolanda Renée 2014
 



Book Blurb: 

When Detective Danny Fitzpatrick leaves his hometown of Chicago and moves to Fairbanks, Alaska, he wants nothing more than to escape the violence and heartbreak that left his life in pieces. Numbed by alcohol and the frozen temperatures of an Alaskan winter, Danny is content with a dead-end job investigating Fairbanks' cold cases. That all changes when a pretty blond woman goes missing on the winter solstice, and Danny stumbles upon some surprising connections between her disappearance and that of another Fairbanks woman three years earlier. Forced out of his lethargy, Danny sets out to both find the missing woman and solve his own cold case.

The investigation points Danny towards Aleksei Nechayev, the handsome and charming proprietor of an old asylum turned haunted tourist attraction in the Arctic town of Coldfoot. As he tries to find a link between Nechayev and his case, Danny's instinct tells him that Nechayev is much more than what he seems.

Danny has no idea that Nechayev is hiding a secret that is much more horrifying than anything he could ever have imagined. As his obsession with finding the missing women grows, Danny finds his own life in danger. And when the truth is finally revealed, the world as he knows it will never be the same.


 Julie Flanders is a novelist and freelance writer who has written for both online and print publications. She is an animal lover and shares her home in Cincinnati, Ohio with her dog and cat. Her debut novel Polar Night, a paranormal suspense thriller, is now available from Ink Smith Publishing at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. Her second novel, The Ghosts of Aquinnah, was published by Ink Smith in December, 2013. Find Julie online at her website, and on her blog, Twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest, and Facebook


 And please check out Julie's latest!




by

JULIE FLANDERS

A brilliant flash of light transcends through time.
Another freezes a cloaked figure within a frame of salty mist as waves crash against a rocky shore. Her harrowing expression shadows the beacon to a pinprick.
By the next blaze, she is gone. Only the lighthouse remains.
Hannah’s eyes blink in step with each heartbeat. Images of her deceased parents and Martha’s Vineyard explode like firecrackers inside her mind.
She shakes her head.
For weeks this eerie woman dressed in nineteenth century garb has been haunting my webcam, but tonight she stared into my soul.
Why? ...
Who is she? ...
Casting aside months of research on historic lighthouses, Hannah drives to the coast and boards a ferry.
What is the strange connection she has to this mysterious woman suspended in time?
Hannah finds out.
But, it’s not at all what she expects...
Hannah unravels a century old murder.


16 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you Chris, I'd love to visit and follow! Sharing my favorite books is a pleasure! Glad you stopped by!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great review for Julie! And you got your Alaska fix.

Jo said...

I loved this book. One of those that kept me up late at night. I didn't realise the detective was going to be a recurring character. Hope he gives up a bit on the booze or he won't last through too many books.

Julie Flanders said...

Thank you so much for this review, Yolanda!! Totally made my day to read it!! I'm so beyond thrilled that you liked it.

Julie Flanders said...

I'm so glad you liked it, Jo! What a thrill to read that it kept you up late reading. LOL, you are right about Danny too, no doubt. :D

Unknown said...

Hi friend, Yolanda! I'm so happy to see Julie's book over here. It's on my "to-read" list. I like the thriller aspect of it. Intriguing. Like you, I love that it's set in Alaska!

Yolanda Renée said...

My pleasure Julie, and my goal this year is to get all the reviews up for the wonderful books I've read. I lived in Fairbanks my first year in Alaska, and when Danny was traveling the streets I was there with him! Great job!

Yolanda Renée said...

My interest in Alaska has taken me to some interesting places - via the written word. It's a blast to discover new genres that way! My TBR list is long and with each book I finish, I add 5 more - a never ending cycle!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Alex, I do need that fix often! LOL

Pat Hatt said...

haha Alaska seems to call to you wherever it shows up, great review

Stephen Tremp said...

Two book reviews and a Blog Blitz! Everything's turning up Julie today.

Robin said...

Congrats to Julie on her book!

Georgina Morales said...

It sounds like an amazing book, Julie! Thanks for sharing!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I want to read her latest, but my husband would probably like this one.

Anonymous said...

So nice to see Julie making the rounds :-)

Cindy Parker said...

Drawn to Alaskan settings, too! These sound like great books to put on my list. Very appealing content and mystery!